Monday, June 7, 2010

Mango

This weekend I planted a mango tree at my future Gorilla HQ. You can see the before and after picture, showing the gray water and rainwater distribution systems as well as the completed infiltration basin (which helps absorb the water with mulch and send it to the roots of the tree). The "island" of stones prevents root rot and overheating, as well as acting as a dew collector during the dry season. Soon I will be planting a lime tree, banana, more bamboo, avocado, and chica zapote on the Western side of the building which will eventually help provide shade during the hot afternoons with the setting sun. And of course provide delicious food! I included a few more photos of the general construction.


1 comment:

markuza said...

looks awesome! personally, I think the best shade trees in a tropical climate are almond trees but they'll trash your foundation if you plant em too close to the building. don't know if you get enough rain for those there...